Welcome. Currently we are many (micro) things:
- a growing display of four high quality micro structures, all under 350 ft2 former site of Boneyard Studios
- an educational site for a tiny house built by local DC high school students from the Academy of Construction and Design
- a showcase of sustainable technologies (off grid solar, rainwater capture/treatment, etc) and micro-furnishings
- a growing online resource for micro-building and micro-living blog
- an organic demonstration garden, micro-orchard, apiary, habitat and outdoor event/art space
Everything here is commerce-free, tours are gratis. The mission? To explore how to live well, sustainably. To bring together architects + designers + planners + developers + contractors + doers who design/build/live micro. To spread the micro message.
Why? In the US we lived 3x as small 60 years ago and weren’t any unhappier. Today we’re depleted financially, mentally and physically paying for and maintaining big homes. We have an affordable housing crisis. Our oversized U.S. housing is an environmental disaster, contributing 20% to U.S. CO2 emissions. There is joy to be found in embracing limits. And small is just cooler– it’s an iPhone world, time for us to stop living in a Blackberry.
Join us. We don’t waste time on commercially owned social media. To stay up to date, scroll down and sign up!